The Breakfast Club
1985, John Hughes
- Working woman is the central protagonist
- Credits last 3.00
- Main protagonist introduced
When in Rome
- Postcards are used as exposition
- Main protagonist = small, blonde, pretty, american working woman
- Just split up with partner
- Credits = 45 seconds
- Main protagonist shown as happy with her partner.
- Credits- 3.25
- Pans across a sunny city
- The names of the main actors appear on screen over the picture
- Establishing shot of the school
- The opening scene in 3:30 seconds long
- The credits and tittle are against what's happening on screen
- It takes about 3 minutes to get to the self contained 'first scene'
The 40 Year Old Virgin, (Judd Apatow), (2005)
- Universal production company logo, also repeated against black in writing with non diagetic music
- There are diagetic sounds but non diagetic music
- The opening scene is 2 minutes 50 seconds.
- However within this we don't see any signification of romance or love with the central protagonist